TRAFFIC and CITES
A TRAFFIC priority is to promote international co-operation to address wildlife trade issues, with particular emphasis on CITES, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora and CBD, the Convention on Biological Diversity.
TRAFFIC provides information and assistance to help the decision-making processes at CITES, supporting efforts to ensure that international wildlife trade is at sustainable levels and does not pose a threat to the conservation of species. In 1999, the two organizations signed a memorandum of understanding (PDF, 24 KB), with the purpose to undertake joint activities for capacity building.
At a CoP, Parties decide what modifications are needed to the Convention and its Appendices.
Proposals and Agenda documents are put forward by Parties who have trade issues to discuss, and these are either adopted, rejected or modified following discussion amongst the government delegates present.
Analyses and Recommendations
Together with our partner, IUCN - The International Union for Conservation of Nature, TRAFFIC publishes in-depth Analyses of all the formal Proposals put forward by Parties to be discussed at CoP.
TRAFFIC publishes its Recommendations on each decision to be taken, based on the results of these Analyses. The Analyses and Recommendations for each of the recent CoPs can be found by clicking on the relevant links below.
You can find TRAFFIC reports and other information on most CoPs by following the links below. Official documents for most meetings can be found on the CITES website
- CoP17 (Johannesburg, South Africa, 24 September-04 October 2016 2016)
- CoP16 (Bangkok, Thailand, 3-14 Mar 2013)
- CoP15 (Doha, Qatar, 13-25 Mar 2010)
- CoP14 (The Hague, Netherlands, 3-15 Jun 2007)
- CoP13 (Bangkok, Thailand, 2-14 Oct 2004)
- CoP12 (Santiago, Chile, 3-15 Nov 2002)
- CoP11 (Gigiri, Kenya, 10-20 Apr 2000)
- CoP10 (Harare, Zimbabwe, 9-20 Jun 1997)
- CoP9 (Fort Lauderdale, USA, 7-18 Nov 1994) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 1.4 MB)
- CoP8 (Kyoto, Japan, 2-13 Mar 1992) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 1.3 MB)
- CoP7 (Lausanne, Switzerland, 9-20 Oct 1989) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 800 KB)
- CoP6 (Ottawa, Canada, 12-24 Jul 1987) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 900 KB)
- CoP5 (B. Aires, Argentina, 22 Apr–3 May 1985) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 1.1 MB)
- CoP4 (Gaborone, Botswana, 19-30 Apr 1983) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 900 KB)
- CoP3 (New Delhi, India, 25 Febr– 8 Mar 1981) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 400 KB)
- CoP2 (San José, Costa Rica, 19-30 Mar 1979) (TRAFFIC report: PDF, 200 KB)
- CoP1 (Bern, Switzerland, 2-6 Nov 1976)
Useful information on CITES
The Evolution of CITES (8th Edition by Willem Wijnstekers)
An indispensable reference for understanding the workings and history of the Convention.
Guides readers through the Convention's articles and resolutions.
CITES Scientific Authorities checklist to assist in making non-detriment findings for Appendix II exports Background to the development of the non-detriment finding checklist and how it is designed to work