"In this survey, we use the terms ‘exotic pet’ and ‘domestic pet.’ While there is no generally accepted definition of an exotic pet, the term usually refers to ‘animals that are not considered as common pets, primarily those having overseas and/or wild origins.’ Domestic pets include animals such as dogs, housecats, hamsters, canaries, as well as insects or fish.”
The study further sheds light on the various types of consumers and what critical touchpoints influence their journey to purchase an exotic pet.
- Intenders of exotic pets were more likely to be younger (aged 18–34) and are more likely to be full-time students compared to Owners and Non-owners/Non-intenders.
- Popular intended exotic animals were parrots (22%), hedgehogs (19%), exotic rodents (18%), followed by lizards (15%) and turtles/tortoises (15%).
- Four in ten Intenders (42%) say they are likely or very likely to buy an exotic pet in the next 12 months.
- The top influencing factors for exotic pet intenders were media on social networks (45%), TV (32%) and family/relatives (29%).
- Three segments (Rational, Convenience, and Emotional Bond) were identified amongst owners and intenders based on variations in their motivations towards owning exotic pets.
WWF is an independent conservation organization, with over 30 million supporters and a global network active in over 100 countries. WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the Earth's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption. Visit www.panda.org/news for the latest news and media resources and follow us on Twitter @WWF_media.
GlobeScan is an insights and strategy consultancy, focused on helping our clients build long term trusting relationships with their stakeholders Offering a suite of specialist research and advisory services, we partner with business, NGOs, and governmental organizations to meet strategic objectives across reputation, sustainability, and purpose Established in 1987 GlobeScan has offices in Cape Town, Hong Kong, London, Paris, San Francisco, São Paulo, and Toronto, and is a signatory to the UN Global Compact and a Certified B Corporation www.globescan.com