CoP 11, Hyderabad, India, 8-19 October 2012
During the 11th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CoP11), TRAFFIC will be focusing specifically on the following agenda items:
- Agenda Item 13.6. “Sustainable use of biodiversity”, including the ‘Revised recommendations of the CBD’s Liaison Group on Bushmeat’ and the ‘Collaborative Partnership on Sustainable Wildlife Management’; TRAFFIC-WWF position paper on Agenda Item 13.6 (PDF, 350 KB). TRAFFIC Paper on a questionnaire supporting Agenda Item 13.6 in relation to the suggested “Collaborative Partnership on Wildlife Use" (PDF 320 KB)
- Agenda Item 13.7. “Global Strategy for Plant Conservation (GSPC)”, and related aspects of Agenda Item 5.3. “Business and biodiversity”; TRAFFIC-WWF position paper on Agenda Item 13.7 (PDF 300 KB)
- Agenda Item 13.10. “Global Taxonomy Initiative (GTI)”, and specifically the related Capacity–Building Strategy
TRAFFIC will be hosting a number of side events, including:
Sharing experiences: Opportunities to Implement the Recommendations on Bushmeat. Side event 2795. Tuesday 9th October 2012 at 13:15 - 14:45 (light lunch & refreshments will be served). Room 2.02 - Level 2.
Towards the delivery of Aichi Targets 4 and 6 through the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation: Sustainable Use of Wild Plant Resources. Side-event 2846. Friday 12th October 2012 at 18:15 - 19:45. (light dinner & refreshments will be served). Room 1.09 - Level 1.
‘Going wise’: Mutual benefits for plant-based businesses and national policy-makers in sustainable use of wild plants. Side-event 2847. Wednesday 17th October 2012 at 18:15 - 19:45. (light dinner & refreshments will be served). Room 2-HITEX 1-Ground Level.
Furthermore, TRAFFIC is also speaking, or providing input into a number of other key side events, including:
- The Biodiversity Indicators Partnership (BIP) and the Aichi Targets – Updates on progress at the global, regional and national level, organised by the BIP, CBD Secretariat and UNEP-WCMC. The BIP is supporting indicator development and use at global, regional and national scales for implementation of the recommendations of SBSTTA 15/1 and SBSTTA 16/2. Side-event 2591. Monday 8th October 2012 at 13:15 – 14:45 (Food and drinks will be provided). Room 1.05, Level 1. A news update on the event.
- Biodiversity and Community Health: Operationalizing Linkages between Conservation and Developmenton the Ground, organised and coordinated by the United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS). Side-event 2714. Tuesday 9th October 2012 at 18:15 – 19:45 (Light refreshments will be served). Room G.05 - Ground level. A partners’ discussion paper is provided for this side-event. A news update and a webcast of the event.
- The Observatory for Central African Forests: A Tool for Monitoring the Sustainable Use of the Biodiversity in the Congo Basin,(webcast available) organised by the Joint Research Centre (EC) and CIFOR (CGIAR). Side-event 2781. Wednesday, 10th October 2012 at 18:15 - 19:45. Room 1.03/1.04 - Level 1.
- Promotion of Taxonomic Capacity Building in East and Southeast Asia under the ESABII Programmes, organised by the Ministry of Environment (Japan). ESABII is the “East and Southeast Asia Biodiversity Information Initiative”. Side-event 2626. Tuesday 16th October 2012 at 12:15 - 13:45. Room 1.07 - Level 1, HICC
- Have we turned the corner in tiger conservation? Organised by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (India) and WWF. Side-event 2656. Wednesday 17th October 2012 at 18:15 - 19:45 (refreshments thereafter). Room 1.07 - Level 1, HICC